|Full Name||Debra Barone (nee Whelen)|
|First Appearance||Season 1 Episode 1|
|Number of episodes||209|
|Relatives||Husband - Ray|
Children - Ally, Michael, Geoffrey
In-Laws - Frank, Marie, Robert, Amy, Peter
Father - Warren
Mother - Lois
Sister - Jennifer
Debra Barone is the wide shoulder hunch backed wife of sports kind but goofy and clumsy columnist Ray Barone.
She constantly butts heads with her husbands family and belittles her husband Ray Barone while lying to herself about being cool and smart and artistic when she’s really a boring annoying bully without even one artistic bone in her body. She was raised in Connecticut. In the episode (Bad Moon Rising), it is revealed that Debra has Premenstrual syndrome which explains her irritable and over-emotional behavior.
She was played by actress Patricia Heaton.
Childhood and Background[edit | edit source]
She was born August 26, 1958. Not much is known about her childhood other than that, and her being raised properly and growing up in an upper-class family, something that once prompts Marie to pressure her into admitting to the Barones that she thinks she is better than they are and how spoiled she is. Her parents are Warren and Lois, and she has a sister, Jennifer, who became a nun.
Debra was used to dating rich, good-looking guys before meeting Ray ( which left her with the mistaken idea that she could do better when in reality Raymond is a saint for putting up with her ) , whom she met while he was delivering a futon to her apartment. At the time, Debra was doing PR work for the NHL hockey team the New York Rangers.
Character Development[edit | edit source]
While Debra is usually an annoying stuck up bully most of the series by the end she is even worse.
Debra's hairstyle and wardrobe constantly change as the show progressed.
Personality[edit | edit source]
Just a horrible ungrateful bully that constantly lies to herself about being likable , smart and about being able to do better than her husband Ray Barone ( when in reality most of not any other man would divorce her )
Relationship to other major characters[edit | edit source]
- Wife to Ray
- Younger sister-in-law to Robert and older sister-in-law to Amy and Peter.
- Daughter-in-law to Frank and Marie
- Mother to Ally, Michael and Geoffrey
- Friends with Amy and Linda
- Sister to Jennifer
- Daughter to Warren and Lois
Episode Appearances[edit | edit source]
Memorable Quotes[edit | edit source]
- DEBRA: (to Ray) Do you know how close you are to the end of your life?
- DEBRA: Don't you say another word, or I'll send your mother back in there to smack the crap out of you.
- DEBRA: Robert, you have every right to be upset, but I will get a stepladder and fight you to the death over this.
- DEBRA: When I got married, I didn't just get a husband; I got a whole freak show that set up their tent right across the street. And that would be fine—if they stayed there. But every day—every day—they dump a truckload of their insane family dreck into my lap. How would you like to sit through two people in their sixties, fighting over who invented the lawn? The lawn! And then the brother: "I live in an apartment. I don't even have a lawn; Raymond has a lawn." But you can't blame them when you see who the mother is. She has this kind of sick hold on the both of them. And the father's about as disgusting a creature as God has ever dropped on this planet. So no wonder the kid writes stories! I should be writing stories—my life is a Gothic novel—and until you have lived in that house, with all of them in there with you day after day, week after week, year after friggin' year, you are in no position to judge me!