Patricia ("Pat") MacDougall is the wife of Hank and the mother of Amy. She and her husband, both devout Presbyterians, live in rural Pennsylvania. Pat's trademark is her timid yet sweet personality, coupled with her exclamation of "Oh, my!" in response to hearing things from her family that trouble her. She is also one of the show's few characters with a history of smoking.
Pat MacDougall is portrayed by the Emmy-winning actress Georgia Engel.
Prior History Edit
Not much is known about Pat's life prior to her introduction in the series. One tidbit is that she grew up on a farm (Season 8, Episode 9: "The Bird") and another is that she began smoking twenty-seven years before the events of the Season 9 episode "Pat's Secret." A more recent fact is that she began reading Ray's column in New York Newsday once Robert and Amy were married; in her devotion to her new family, she would walk twenty minutes to the library just to read his column.
Memorable Quotes Edit
- PAT: So you could see, Robert, I think any parent would not want their daughter to have a life of...you.
- AMY: Robert and I did not miss church today. You know why? Because Robert and I wanted to sleep in! Don't say "Oh" yet. He sleeps over many nights. And you know what? I've decided that it's not a sin!
- PAT: Now can I say "Oh"?
- HANK (Turning to Frank and Marie): I'm not sure our values are...quite the same as your values.
- PAT: It's not your fault. We're just not the type of people who would ever want to be...with you.
- HANK: We're sort of reconsidering the layout of the basement.
- PETER: What do you mean?
- PAT: How it would lay out if you were...gone.
- PAT: You know, this wedding, whether we like it or not, was for Robert and Amy, and you never should have intruded on their moment of happiness in the chapel.
- MARIE: I was doing it for them!
- PAT: Oh, Marie...I think, maybe you were doing it for you. You were so busy thinking about what you needed to express, you didn't think about anyone else, including your son. I think that's called "narcissism."
- PAT: I don't always like the vacations we have to take.
- HANK: What's wrong with Colonial Williamsburg?
- PAT: We go there every year. There's never anything new. (Pause) And I hate to break this to you - there never will be!
- PAT: I have to tell you, Hank, I don't like that tone of voice. And I'll tell you something else: I think you're the reason I smoke. Now you know I love you with all my heart, Hank, but I think if I didn't have my cigarettes, I would have to fight you!